The Portage District Library is committed to the safety of our staff and patrons. Executive Order 2020-110 has lifted the stay-at-home order which means that libraries are legally allowed to offer limited service. We are eager to serve our community and the following is our phased reopening plan. Things will be a bit different for now, so look below for some information about what to expect.
During our building closure, the staff was preparing new services and procedures, deep cleaning our building, creating informational and wayfinding signage, adding protective barriers, and re-arranging furniture to meet social distancing standards.
MeL and interlibrary loan services have been suspended by the State with no definite date to resume. Once we receive information about the return of this service, we will communicate that with our patrons via E-News, Facebook, our website, and the monthly Portager.
Starting Wednesday, June 3rd, our drive-through book return was opened so that the items you’ve had during the Stay-At-Home order can be returned. All returned items will be quarantined for up 72 hours and will be checked in fine-free until the end of August. It may take up to 5 days to see returned materials status changed to “checked in” on your account.
On Wednesday, June 10th, the library began providing curbside pickup of holds by appointment only.
As of Wednesday, June 24th, the Library is open in a limited capacity.
Collections that are more likely to spread germs are also unavailable at this time. This includes:
Heritage Room Rules:
The following changes have been put in place regarding Heritage Room use during this time. Thank you for your understanding and welcome back!
01) Due to the need to follow social distancing, per the Governor’s Executive Order, the Heritage Room will be able to allow only one person or related group (i.e. family) in the Heritage Room at a time. The Heritage Room will remain locked when not in use. To obtain access please ask at the Youth Information Desk and they will be happy to assist you.
02) Due to the need to follow building occupancy guidelines established by the Governor’s Executive Order, time for research in the Heritage Room will be limited to only one (01) hour per day per patron or “group.”
03) Per current guidelines, the Heritage Room can be utilized for Heritage Room research only. It is not to be used for meetings, tutoring, conference calls, or any other non-Heritage Room related activities.
04) Due to the need to de-contaminate library material we ask that any material that you use be placed on the available black cart at the conclusion of your visit. Because of de-contamination issues, certain parts of the Heritage Room collection may be unavailable due to the inability to safely treat said material without damaging it.
05) Due to the need to follow building occupancy guidelines, the Heritage Room Archivist will have limited, fluctuating hours which will be posted next to the door. If you are unable to connect with him in person, please feel free to contact him via phone or email.
No date has been set for this phase, as it depends on guidelines set by State authorities.
To learn more about resources related to Covid-19 please click here.