The Portage District Library is committed to the safety of our staff and patrons. Things will be a bit different for now, so look below for the most up-to-date measures the library is taking to keep our community and staff safe.
Due to Covid-19, we are offering limited services.
For patrons and staff’s safety, everyone will be required to wear a mask while they are in the library unless the individual is medically unable to tolerate a face covering or is a child under the age of five.
Staff will be encouraging patrons to practice social distancing (from those not in their household) by remaining six feet away from others. Our building capacity will be limited to 30 percent.
Monday – Friday 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Saturday 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM.
Monday – Friday 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Limiting our open hours will allow staff to take the extra time needed for our new cleaning and item quarantine procedures.
To participate in our Curbside Service, please visit our Curbside Service page.
We will be offering many services we know the community has missed during our building closure, including checking out materials, using public computers or wifi, printing, and making copies. Unfortunately, as we continue to navigate this public health crisis, extended stays or social gatherings will not be permitted. Patrons will be limited to one (1) hour in the building. All computer sessions will be limited to one (1) hour per patron, per day.
Please remember that all returned materials will be quarantined for 96 hours before they will be added back into our collection for checkout as part of our continued safety procedures. All returned materials will be checked in fine-free while we are in a limited-service phase.
During our most recent closure, our building has received a deep cleaning and we have rearranged furniture to meet social distancing standards.
All toys have been removed from the pre-school room; however, pre-school materials will still be accessible. In addition, Library meeting and study rooms will be closed to the public. While there will be no in-person programs until further notice, please check our Facebook, YouTube, and events calendar on our website to enjoy our virtual programs.
The Library is open in a limited capacity.
Collections that are more likely to spread germs are also unavailable at this time. This includes:
Heritage Room Rules:
The following changes have been put in place regarding Heritage Room use during this time. Thank you for your understanding and welcome back!
01) Due to the need to follow social distancing, per the Governor’s Executive Order, the Heritage Room will be able to allow only one person or related group (i.e. family) in the Heritage Room at a time. The Heritage Room will remain locked when not in use. To obtain access please ask at the Youth Information Desk and they will be happy to assist you.
02) Due to the need to follow building occupancy guidelines established by the Governor’s Executive Order, time for research in the Heritage Room will be limited to only one (01) hour per day per patron or “group.”
03) Per current guidelines, the Heritage Room can be utilized for Heritage Room research only. It is not to be used for meetings, tutoring, conference calls, or any other non-Heritage Room related activities.
04) Due to the need to de-contaminate library material we ask that any material that you use be placed on the available black cart at the conclusion of your visit. Because of de-contamination issues, certain parts of the Heritage Room collection may be unavailable due to the inability to safely treat said material without damaging it.
05) Due to the need to follow building occupancy guidelines, the Heritage Room Archivist will have limited, fluctuating hours which will be posted next to the door. If you are unable to connect with him in person, please feel free to contact him via phone or email.
To learn more about resources related to Covid-19 please click here.