If you reside in or own property or a business in our library district, you qualify for a free Portage District Library membership card! You’re also eligible for a limited membership card if you live in another library district that has arranged for reciprocal access with Portage District Library or you are employed as an educator at in institution within the Library District. For all others, we offer free computer access cards or you may purchase an annual non-resident card to have member privileges. A discounted rate is offered to those who are over 62 years of age that would like to purchase a non-resident membership. Please check our fee schedule for current rates.
Getting a Card
Who qualifies for a Portage District Library Card?
1.) The Portage Library District is comprised of all property within the City of Portage and the portion of Texas Township and Pavilion Township that is in the Portage School District. You qualify for a Portage District Library Card by living in or owning property or a business within those district boundaries. If you are unsure whether or not you qualify, you can check your property address using an online tool available through Kalamazoo County. Most apartment complexes, condominiums, and trailer parks are not listed. You can always contact the Checkout Desk of the Library for clarification.
2.) Additionally, you can qualify for a free Portage District Library card if you live in a library district that has arranged for reciprocal, or shared, access with the Portage District Library. We have agreements with most libraries in Kalamazoo County. For more information about the libraries that qualify for reciprocal borrowing privileges, click on the link to the left.
3.) Similar to the reciprocal borrowing membership, we have added a free courtesy membership for educators who work for an educational institution within the Portage District Library boundaries. Check below for more information about what you need to qualify for an educator membership.
4.) We also offer a free computer access card to any other individuals visiting the library. For the ability to checkout library materials as a non-resident of our district, you may purchase an annual membership card. Those non-residents who are 62 years of age or older may purchase a senior non-resident membership at a discount of 50%. Please check our fee schedule for current rates.
Once you have determined what type of membership you are getting you need to show appropriate identification and proof of residence in the library district:
- Valid driver’s license or state issued ID with current address
OR a combination of one photo ID and one proof of residency from the following lists:
- Military ID
- School ID
- Voter’s registration card with current address
- Property Tax receipt or bill
- Gas/Electric/Water/ Sewer bill
- Lease Agreement/ Registered Land Contract
- Current vehicle registration
Additional information may be necessary, depending on the type of membership you seek:
- Reciprocal memberships require a resident membership card from one’s home library to be shown before a reciprocal membership can be established.
- Businesses in Portage may be required to present other documentation, especially if the owner is not making a direct application for membership.
- Minors may need a parent’s permission.
- Teachers need a letter from an authorized school administrator documenting proof of employment at an in-district institution in a position as an educator. The letter should include the name, position and institution of the applicant and the name, title, and signature of the authorized administrator on the organizations letterhead.